When I come across something good, I want to share the joyful news of its existence with everyone, sooo…
After another blissful 15 min. under Xiu-Mei’s far-infrared TDP lamp, I decided to buy one myself. For all my C. Diff. peeps out there – the pain relief one gets from one of these babies is incredible…
It’s expensive (you’re looking at around $160 – $300), but if you’ve got the funds, just go for it. I have no idea if the science behind the “mineral” part of it is sound (TDP infrared lamps were developed by a scientist in China and have a plate studded with minerals that are said to ionize and enter the body through the skin with the infrared light waves). All I know is that the heat from a TDP lamp feels like it goes deep – better than a heating pad or a hot bath – and it stops intestinal spasms almost immediately. The lamp emits infrared light and heat below the visible spectrum, so the first time I encountered a TDP lamp I thought Xiu-Mei had forgotten to turn it on until I felt the deep heat. The lamp works best when its rays hit bare skin, like the lady being treated in this pic:
If you have one at home, you can treat yourself about twice daily, with each session lasting up to 45 min. Of course, you don’t get the benefit of acupuncture if you D-I-Y, but you do get the heat and increased circulation. And at a cost equivalent to about three acupuncture appointments, I consider it a deal. Here are some of the other benefits TDP far-infrared therapy claims (I cannot verify anything but the “I feel good, and hurt less” effect):
1) Far Infrared expands capillaries which stimulates increased blood flow, regeneration, circulation and oxygenation.
2) Far Infrared is excellent for detox. Scientists in Japan report that in the FIR treatment of clogged capillary vessels, heat expands the capillaries and then initiates the start of a process to dissolve hidden toxins. Far Infrared thereby promotes elimination of fats, chemicals and toxins from the blood: Poisons, carcinogenic heavy metals – toxic substances from food processing – lactic acid, free fatty acids, and subcutaneous fat associated with aging and fatigue – excess sodium associated with hypertension – and uric acid which causes pain. Furthermore, if sebaceous glands are activated, accumulated cosmetics in pores can be eliminated through the skin (sweat and oil glands) rather than by the kidneys.
3) Far Infrared stimulates enzyme activity and metabolism – One hour under the hothouse improves metabolism. FIR heat aids in breaking down cellulite – trapped water, fat and waste.
4) Far Infrared may induce the killing of varied pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites.
5) Far Infrared promotes rebuilding of injured tissue by having a positive effect on the fibroblasts (connective tissue cells necessary for the repair of injury). Furthermore, it increases growth of cells, DNA syntheses, and protein synthesis all necessary during tissue repair and regeneration. Excellent for healing burns, scar tissue and skin problems.
6) Far Infrared relieves nervous tension and relax autoneuro muscles thereby helping the body make the most of its intended healing abilities. FIR reduces soreness on nerve endings and muscle spasms, as muscle fibers are heated.
7) Far Infrared strengthens the Immune System by stimulating increased production of white blood cells (leukocytes) by the bone marrow and killer T-cells by the thymus.
8) Far Infrared strengthens the Cardiovascular System by causing heart rate and cardiac output increase, and diastolic blood pressure decrease – Extensive research by NASA in the early 1980’s led to the conclusion that far infrared stimulation of cardiovascular function would be the ideal way to maintain cardiovascular conditioning in American astronauts during long space flight.
Quoted from: http://www.chimachine4u.com/fir.html
TDP FIR treatment is also said to help replenish one’s Chi (those of us who are ill are thought to have less Chi, and therefore less ability to heal). So there you go.